At St. Monica’s, we believe our Religious Education Program is concerned with the development of faith, based on the life experiences of the child and the teachings of Christ.
We provide a sequential program, with formal lessons, drawn from ‘To Know, Worship and Love’, the Primary Resources series for the Archdiocese of Melbourne.
- draws on the life experiences of the child,
- gives knowledge of Church teachings, tradition and history,
- explores the Gospels, Scriptures and doctrine related to these experiences,
- provides opportunity for individual and community prayer,
- prepares children to participate in the Sacramental life of the church,
- encourages children to live a life of faith.
We believe that Religious Education extends beyond the classroom to one’s own personal life and to the wider community.
We use our school newsletter to inform parents of activities relating to our Religious Education Program. Each year we hold a series of workshops for parents of children preparing for sacraments. We encourage family participation in the Family Mass Program. We invite parishioners into the school to speak to the children on their life experiences as confirmed Christians. Children participate in Parish activities, community activities and special events. Children are helped to recognise the needs of others through fundraising activities for various organizations.